Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Adventure to Napoli :)

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

This morning, I wake up to a wild lion's mess of hair. I did not sleep well apparently! Jewdee and I began getting ready for the day, I had my croissant with nutella and we waited for Giorgio to pick us up and take us to the beach house they owned. Meanwhile, I suggested a daytrip to Naples and Pompeii and Jewdee agrees! Lets get out of Rome.

After Giorgio had woken up late and we informed him of our plans, we cancelled our trip to the beach house and ventured out on the Frecciarossa train - which is the fastest one they have - to Napoli, where we took a taxi to our hotel, the "Renaissance" by Marriott. The hotel was really nice, and we quickly dropped off our luggage upstairs in our room and ventured our way onto the streets of Napoli to grab a late lunch of margherita pizza and coke. We sat on a bench happily munching our large slice of thick-crusted pizza, enjoying the sights and people around us.

We were picked up at our hotel for a 3-hour private tour of Naples and almost immediately I decided I enjoyed Naples 10 times more then Rome. I got to see the west coast of Italia for the first time and it was beautiful! We saw the views of the castle and the coastline. I really began to appreciate Southern Italy. To the left is the Castel Nuovo.

Below is the Castel dell'Ovo which was converted into a fortress  in 1154.

We were dropped off at a restaurant called "Antonio's Restaurant" and I ordered baked white fish with potatoes and Jewdee had the beef filet with potatoes. My dish was buttery and melted creamily in my mouth, and the potatoes tasted of wonderful garlic and rosemary. Jewdee ended up having two steaks since the first was undercooked, and I had some of it, also being delicious. I don't remember the name of the desert, I think it started with a "s" or a "z" but it was yummy, with a lemon custard-like frosing on top of a light, airy, delicate pastry cake. Tomorrow, we will visit Pompeii, and hopefully Sorrento and the Almafi coastline, but we may not have enough time. I can't wait!!!


Below is the view over the north west region of Naples...

No comments:

Post a Comment