Friday, February 19, 2010

Roma - Day 2

Friday, February 19, 2010

The alarm breaks the silence of the room and I start to groan as it is 5:00 am and we have to get ready for our day.

After last night's fiasco with the cab, which I just realize I haven't told you about yet... So last night we jumped into a cab, showing the driver the exact address and exact cross streets on the map of where our hotel was. He nods his head and takes off driving. I am sitting in the back seat, trying not to nod off, but we have been driving a lot longer then we should of been!  When he finally pulls up at the Marriott, we realize he has no idea where we are supposed to be! This is the wrong hotel!!! Jewdee jumped out of the car to talk to the security guard and have him give our driver directions, but the driver kept saying no, this was our hotel! Another taxi cab drove up, and he knew where we were going so of course, as we just wanted to get home now that it was 1:00 am and we haven't had any sleep in about 3 days, we jumped into his cab. After being forced to pay the first driver who got us lost in the first place 30 of the 50 euros he wanted, and then another 20 euros to get back to the correct hotel. Fantastic.

 So after that long exhausting night, we decided to leave no later then 6:30am to get to the Piazza di Repubblica by 8 for our tour of the Vatican. We stop at a little breakfast bar and have scrambled eggs and toast (we're such Americans) and I delightfully sip my tiny expresso. The tiny, sharp raindrops ping as they hit the cobblestone streets- which I completely adore. The rain sings its faint song as we finish our breakfast and head off to the Vatican.

Our tour of the Vatican was well worth the early wake up call. The place is simply amazing. We walk through the Sistine Chapel, imagining Michelangelo arching his head back, paint brush in hand. I found it somewhat funny that you are forbidden to speak and especially take pictures or videotape in the Sistine Chapel as well. The crowded room had a humming of people nervously whispering as if we were all kindergarteners again, afraid the teacher will catch us, but have so much to say! The security men inside scolding the admirers as they ooh and ahh at the ceilings.
Next of course was the Basilica of Saint Peter, which was even more amazing then the Sistine  Chapel. Personally, I thought it was 10 times more impressive, but to each their own! I loved the high beautiful ceilings and sculptures throughout the Basilica. The bronze and gold are overwhelming and yet theatrical.




We strolled through St. Peter's Square and stopped for lunch with some people in our tour. There were four others, a couple from the East Coast and two men from New Orleans. One of the men from New Orleans was this horribly annoying little fat man who kept talking about all of his money, his precious collection of art and other valuables. All of us at the table were a bit uncomfortable with him. He began harping on society today and my generation - how incredibly disrespectful we all are - please note that I have not said one word to him and had kept to myself the whole time. But there he goes, talking about all his money, and how he made four times over his lost valuables worth when Katrina happened. Now, this is a huge pet peeve of mine when people consistently talk about how much money they have. Maybe it's because I don't have any, but honestly, get a grip people!! We don't care about how much you have! You're still an ass!! Then he proceeded to tell a story about how he was getting his car worked on and a woman in her late 60's had offended him by asking him to conduct his business calls elsewhere then the lobby where she was watching the tv, and when he ignored her, she got up and slapped him. He told us with pride, "I got up and punched that bitch out and had her arrested!" Wow - and you say my generation is disrespectful, take a look at yourself sir. I was lucky the lunch was over because I had enough of him. I was furious.






Next, we wandered the Colosseum and the Roman Forum - both which were just as beautiful in the day as they were at night. I still can't get over how amazing these structures are, and how long it had taken the Romans to build all of this. It is sad to hear how not long after the Colosseum had been built, the city had been abandoned and all of the beautiful marble and travertine had been removed to use elsewhere. The Colosseum was essentially stripped of its glamour, yet it still holds this striking elegance in its moss covered structure.




We were picked up by Giorgio and had dinner at Villa Verde where I ordered a Margherita pizza. This was my first pizza in Italy - it was so delicious! The perfect combination of not too much cheese and just enough tomato sauce on a thin soft crust. I was full after the first slice, but I couldn't get myself to stop savoring the delightful taste - I ate over half of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment