Monday, February 22, 2010

Leaving Siena - AKA "The Rescue"

Monday, February 22, 2010

This morning, I get dressed and tell Vittorio that if he cannot feed his horses appropriately, I cannot work for him. He angrily stomped into my apartment asking if my bags were packed. I answered yes, and he quickly threw my bags into the car. It was 8:30am, he threw my bags out at the train station at 8:45am. The drive is normally 30 minutes. Yes, I'd say he had a temper...

Not knowing exactly what to do, because I didn't expect him to toss me out on my butt without making arrangements first, I called Jewdee and Giorgio and they were on their way. I waited there for hours while Giorgio, Jewdee and Sergio made their way to "rescue" me. I sat in the train station restaurant with a pastry and bottled water reading my book, "Jane Eyre" and writing in my journal.

When they showed up, we jetted off to a tiny trattadore in a neighboring Tuscany town. The roast beef and peas were amazing and I had my first taste of Chianti wine. When finished, we drove back to Rome. At some point, my stressed out mind relaxed away into a deep sleep for the remainder of the 3 hour drive.

I woke up when we were pulling up to Francesca and Sergio's house. Jewdee and I worked on the computer, changing flights and hotel reservations while I pouted brokenheartedly. Francesca offered us some hot chocolate and I had expected a liquid drink of hot cocoa. I was instead served a delicious pudding. It definitly hit the spot!  Afterwards, Giorgio drove us to a grocery store where we picked up croissants and nutella for the morning. Then he dropped us off at his grandmother's apartment where we would be staying the night.

It was hard not to laugh when he showed me how to lock the door. Of course it had the typical deadbolt and chain lock, but my favorite was that it also had this contraption that locked into the ceiling, floor and five (yes.. five) additional bolts into the door frame! Jewdee and I giggled over the situation once he left over my nutella croissants and her chips and cream cheese. I tried to shower in the frozen water and gave up. It was ridiculously cold! I quickly washed my body, jumped out, wrapped a towel around me, then proceeded to wash my hair over the edge. I bet I looked crazy but thats ok - I'm in a bathroom with freezing water and no one can see me. I climbed into bed and wished myself to sleep for a few hours-tossing and turning and flinging my arms.

No comments:

Post a Comment